Lleweni Dairy School taken over by Flintshire County Council

Then as to instruction in butter and cheese making, five years ago a dairy school styled the Flintshire and Denbighshire Dairy School Company, Limited, was established at Lleweni Hall, the adjoining farm to this. It was started through a handsome gift of 300l. by Mr Ralli, and shares of 1l. each were taken up by influential gentlemen and tenant farmers, and it has been doing excellent work under the auspices of the North Wales College, Bangor, as one the branch schools, the others being at Bangor and Welshpool. Lleweni School is now being taken over by the Flintshire County Council, whilst the Denbighshire County Council have so far withheld their connexion with the school, although the terms offered them have been most favourable. Field experiments and instruction in other agricultural subjects are carried out by the college and are availed of to their fullest extent.

T W Bowdage, T. W. (5 September 1894) Royal Commission on Land in Wales and Monmouthshire: Minutes of Evidence, p.389

Curious Anecdote of the famous Catherine Tudor

At Lleweni (says Mr Pennant, in his ‘Journey to Snowdon’) is the portrait of a Lady, exceedingly celebrated in this part of Wales; the famous Catherine Tudor, better known by the name of Catherine of Berain, from her seat in this neighbourhood. She was the daughter and heiress of Tudor ap Robert Fychan of Berain. Her first husband was John Salusbury; and, on his death, she gave her hand to Sir Richard Clough. The tradition goes, that, at the funeral of her beloved spouse John Salusbury, she was led to the church by Sir Richard, and from the church by Morris Wynne of Gwedir, who whispered to he his wish of being her second. She refused him with great civility, informing him, that, in her way to the church, she had accepted the proposals of Sir Richard; but assured him, that he might depend on being her third, in case she ever performed the same sad duty (which she was then about) to the Knight. She was as good as her word. As soon as she had composed this gentleman, to show that she had no superstition about the number three, she concluded with Edward Thelwall, of Plas y Ward, Esq.; departed this life August 27, and was interred at Llanivyd, on the 1st of September, 1591.
Her portrait is an excellent three-quarters on wood. I was told, that, in the locket she wore to her gold chain, was the hair of her second and favourite husband, Sir Richard.

Granger, W. & Caulfield, J. (1802) The New Wonderful Museum, And Extraordinary Magazine: Being A Complete Repository Of All The Wonders, Curiosities, And Rarities Of Nature And Art, from the Beginning of the World to the Present Year … Including, Among The Greatest Variety Of Other…, pp.1167-8

The Bleachworks

A most extensive bleaching establishment was erected at Lleweni, in 1780, by the Rt. Hon. Thomas Fitzmaurice, who, in order to encourage his tenantry in Ireland, and to promote the national manufacture, received his rents in brown linen cloth, which was sent to this place to be bleached; and for this purpose he erected at an expense exceeding £20,000, one of the most complete and elegant structures of that kind in the kingdom, in which, under the immediate superintendence of the proprietor, more than four thousand pieces of Irish linen were bleached annually. After his decease, the works were carried on by some persons from Lancashire, for a few years; but this extensive concern has been discontinued, and the buildings have been taken down.

Lewis, S. (1833) A Topographical Dictionary of Wales, Volume 1

The linen manufacture was introduced into Sligo by the spirited exertions of Lord Shelburne, who, in 1749, brought thither a colony of weavers and settled them on his estate at Ballymote, then a thinly inhabited and almost uncultivated waste, whose population was employed solely in the herding of cattle. The death this nobleman for a time checked the progress of the manufacture, but it revived under the guidance of Mr Fitzmaurice, who, on succeeding to the estate, after having made himself practically acquainted with all the processes of the trade, superintended the establishment in person, and thus powerfully stimulated those engaged in it. Each weaver was provided with a cottage, half a rood ofland for a potato garden,and grass for a cow, thus affording him the means of subsistence for his family without allowing his time or thoughts to be distracted from his main business by the details of a small farm. This well-devised exertion gave a turn to the public mind throughout the country, and led to the establishment of the manufacture on a general scale, which flourished for many years. The manufacture of unions, a mixed fabric of linen and cotton, has been introduced and is carried on extensively. Mr Fitzmaurice also encouraged the erection of bleach-greens upon a large scale, and having built very extensive bleach-works near the town of Denbigh, in North Wales, he purchased the brown linens in every market of Sligo and the adjoining counties, and thus greatly benefited both Wales and Ireland. The linen trade is still the staple of the county, and though by no means so prosperous or extensive as formerly, a brisk trade in it is still carried on: the are four bleach-greens in full operation, finishing nearly 40,000 pieces annually, which are principally shipped for England and generally destined for the American markets. Coarse woolen cloths and friezes are made for domestic use, and a very extensive trade is carried on in the purchase of flannels, druggets, stockings, and other fabrics of Connaught manufacture. Merchants from many parts of Ireland, but particularly from Ulster, come to Sligo to meet the Connaught factors. The only other branches of trade, except as connected with the port of Sligo, are tanning, distilling, and brewing.

Lewis, S. (1837) A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, Volume 1, p.566

An Example For American Girls (Cutting from West Gippsland Gazette, Australia)

An Example For American Girls.

A number of lady students who have gained certificates at the dairy schools in connection with the University College, Bangor, Wales, have been appointed instructresses in dairy work in various parts of the country. Among these are Miss K. M. Armstrong, who gained the advanced certificate last season and the first prize of $25 in this examination, and has been appointed head instructress by the directors of the Anglesey and Caernarvonshire Dairy school; Miss M.E. Bibby, who holds the advanced certificate, has been appointed instructress in butter making under the Lincolnshire county council: Miss Gwyn Swift, who also holds the advanced certificate, has been appointed instructress in dairy work for the Berwickshire Agricultural association; Miss M.M. Christopherson is now the instructress in butter making for the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical college, and is assisted by Miss Elizabeth Shirley, both of whom gained the advanced certificate in dairy work last season; Miss P. Coulthard has been appointed to act as instructress in buttermaking for the Wigtonshire county council ; Miss Annie Matthews, who acted as instructress to Miss M. E. Robberts at Lleweni Hall last season, has been appointed instructress in dairy work under the Essex county council: Miss M. A. Johnstone, who last year gained the advanced certificate in general dairy work, has again been appointed chief instructress in butter making at the Montgomneryshire dairy institute. Miss Catherine Hughes, who gained the ordinary certificate in butter makiug and cheese making, has been appointed to act as assistant at Lleweni Hall, Denbigh.

West Gippsland Gazette (Warragul, Vic. : 1898 – 1930), Tuesday 7 August 1900, Page 5

Source: http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/68700188

General Farming News (Cutting from Dominion, New Zealand)

GENERAL FARMING NEWS.

A recent arrival in New Zealand from England, according to “The Dairyman” is Miss G. Nest Davies, a trainee of the Lleweni Dairy School, Denbighshire, Wales, and the holder of the National Diploma in Dairying. For the two years before leaving England Miss Davies was in charge of the cheese-making, milk-testing, and milk-bottling department at Wensleydale. Her experience includes: Two years pupil at Lleweni Hall Dairy School, Denbigh, North Wales; two years student at the British Dairy Institute and University College, Reading; and her qualifications include National Diploma in Dairying (N.D.D.), awarded conjointly by the Royal Agricultural Society of England and the Highlands and Agricultural Society of Scotland; certificate for proficiency in the theory, and practice of buttermaking and cheesemaking, awarded by the British Dairy Farmers’ Association; Advanced Certificate in General Dairying, awarded by the University College of North Wales, Bangor. Miss Davies was for two years assistant instructress at the Lleweni Hall Dairy School, Denbigh, North Wales; one year in charge of Lord Calthorpe’s dairy at Elvetham Park, Winchfield, Hampshire; two years tester and cheesemaker at the Wensleydale Pure Milk Society’s Dairy Northallerton, Yorkshire.

Dominion, Volume 4, Issue 1228, 9 September 1911, Page 8

Source: http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&d=DOM19110909.2.80.7